It will now be easier for Victorians living in Northern Victoria to get active thanks to local sporting clubs sharing in over $750,000 in funding from VicHealth.
Clubs funded in the Mildura electorate include:
- Hopetoun Bowls Club – $2,700
- Manangatang and District Bowling Club – $3,000
- Mildura Calisthenics – $10,000
- North Central Hockey Association – $2,930
- Riverside Golf Club Mildura – $2,958
- Sunraysia Football Umpires Association – $1,665
- Sunraysia Volleyball – $2,094
- Wycheproof Bowls Club – $2,823
Clubs funded in the Murray Plains Region include:
- Kerang Football/Netball Club – $2,436
- Nyah West Golf Club – $760
- Rochester & District Amateur Swimming Club – $2,969
- Undera Football Netball Club – $2,000
- Boort Hockey Club – $1,490
- Calivil Football and Netball Club – $2,536
Clubs funded in the Moira Region include:
- Cobram Roar Football Club – $3,000
- Yarrawonga Mulwala Table Tennis Association – $2,665
This funding will support local sports clubs to create more opportunities for women and girls to get active by offering new female teams or programs and providing equipment to ensure clubs can grow with their community.
The grants will also support clubs to introduce social, flexible and accessible sports programs to empower more people in the community to give sport a go regardless of their ability, gender or cultural background.
Building on the success of VicHealth’s This Girl Can – Victoria campaign, 61 clubs across Victoria will also receive funding to promote the campaign as part of a state-wide movement to get more women active.
Labor Member for Northern Victoria, Mark Gepp said it was fantastic there would now be more activities, teams and opportunities for the community to get involved in sport.
VicHealth Acting CEO, Dr Lyn Roberts AO, said Active Club Grants have supported hundreds of clubs across Victoria to get more people in their community moving in new ways.
For more information about VicHealth’s Active Clubs Grants including a full list of funded clubs, go to www.vichealth.vic.gov.au/activeclub
Quotes attributable to Mark Gepp MP, Labor Member for Northern Victoria
“Active Club Grants will help create more opportunities for people of all ages, genders and abilities to get active and enjoy the benefits of a healthy lifestyle.”
“I welcome this latest round of funding to make getting active easier for everyone, while supporting the clubs and associations that contribute so much to our great community.”
Quotes attributable to VicHealth Acting CEO, Dr Lyn Roberts AO
“We’re thrilled to be able to support local sporting clubs in Northern Victoria to provide more opportunities for the community to get active through a sport they enjoy.”
“The success of our This Girl Can – Victoria campaign shows that women and girls, as well as disadvantaged and less active groups, want to get active and socialise.”
“These grants will help get more Victorians into the game by offering modified or social versions of traditional sport where your age, ability, background, lifestyle or gender isn’t a barrier to taking part.”