The Andrews Labor Government is keeping the legacy of local veterans alive with funding to support the Goulburn Valley Veterans Centre – thanks to round 2 of the Veterans Capital Works Grant Program.
Member for Northern Victoria, Mark Gepp MP today announced Goulburn Valley Veterans Centre will receive $17,000 to undertake minor works and modernise the offices of the Veterans Support Centre.
The project will bring the centre to a welcoming and comfortable standard to enable Goulburn Valley Veterans Centre to continue supporting veterans and their families seek their DVA entitlements and other assistance.
It is one of 84 projects right across the state that will share in $1.4 million as part of a range of grants to support veterans.
The projects cover a range of initiatives, such as ensuring memorials are preserved, commemorating veterans through services and events and providing education or training programs so veterans can remain engaged with the community.
Some of the other 84 projects include:
- $18,000 for welfare support for RAAF members in Ballarat
- $12,000 to the Geelong Legacy Club to pay heating bills for disadvantaged Legacy widows
- $12,000 for the Torquay RSL Sub-Branch to offer home exercise programs and more
- $675 to build a plaque honouring all those from Bass Valley who served in the Boer War
- $9,000 to help run Ballarat’s ANZAC Day Commemorative Services
- $8,000 to repair the roof of Bendigo’s Legacy House
More information about the successful recipients of the grants can be found at vic.gov.au/grants-support-and-commemorate-veterans.
Quote attributable to Mark Gepp MP, Member for Northern Victoria
“This funding is vital for the Cohuna / Leitchville RSL Sub-Branch which does amazing work supporting our veterans and families – they deserve an extra helping hand.”
“We must never forget the service of our veterans – they are the reason we enjoy the freedoms we have today.”
Quotes attributable to Minister for Veterans Robin Scott
“Our veterans fought hard for our shared values and remembering their stories reminds us to take stock of that sacrifice and pay tribute.”